Saturday, March 31, 2007

Sad day....but glad day!!

So once again I am reminded that God is ultimately in control and he knows what is best for us and works it for our good. Originally, Steve and I were going to go to Minnesota to visit my grandmother this weekend. My Aunt Del and Uncle Wally from Arizona were going to be there and we were going to visit with them while and visit my grandmother in the nursing home. But back in February we got a phone call saying that my grandmother wasn't doing too well, so we decided to go right away instead of waiting. My dad was able to go with us at that time. We were so excited for her to be able to see Josiah. It wasn't the best visit. She was having a really hard time and couldn't move much. The last day we were there, she did visit with us for an hour and a half, doing the best that she could to communicate. She smiled several times and always asked for Josiah: "Where's that baby??" After we came home, my dad called the nursing home several times and they said that she seemed to be doing better after our visit.
My dad called last night to let me know that my grandma passed away. She died about 7:00 last night. It is ironic to think that we were going to be there then. It definitely would have been very traumatic for me. I want to remember my grandmother for the summer that I spent with her and my grandpa on the farm when I was 12. It was so much fun. I learned to drive the tractor, played countless games of Yahtzee with my grandpa, and followed my grandma around doing everything I could to help her.
During our visit in February, my grandma kept asking me about our new house. She called it "That big house". It probably seemed kind of incredible to her for me to talk about a house with five bedrooms and five bathrooms. They had a house with three small bedrooms upstairs and a porch that they turned into a master bedroom. For the longest time there was no bathroom in the house, but they did finally get one. It only had a tub, not a shower. They had 11 children too. I don't think that all of them lived there at the same time. I think the most they had were 9 living there at one time. But all the same, it is pretty amazing to me that they all fit. I was thinking this morning as I was cleaning that now she will have her own "Big house" in heaven and she is also reunited with my grandpa. I know that she missed him very much. It is sad to think that I now have no living grandparents, but I am rejoicing to know that they are all in heaven. I am also thankful to God for working it out for me to see her in February.

No comments: