Monday, April 23, 2007

My kid does tricks

Like it or not, my kid does tricks. Well, they might not be tricks, but my friend (we will call her Jane) thinks so. She was here at my house on Saturday and it came time for my son to get his bottle. As always, I made him say please before I gave it to him. He doesn't say it with his mouth (he can't talk yet --duh). He says it in sign language. The proper way to say please in sign language is to rub your hand on your chest. I tried getting him to learn it that way, but he consistenly puts his hands together as if he were begging. Anyway, I know what he means and when he says please, I give him his bottle, puffs, or whatever other food item he is asking for. My friend Jane was appalled at this and told Josiah that before long we would be teaching him to roll over and bark. Not so....our child is not an animal. He is a human being. One that is going to know his manners. And yes, I will teach them to him, and yes, I will make him practice them even when he doesn't want to. He will grow up to be polite.....like it or not!



And for his other trick, my mom showed him this one. She taught him to wave bye-bye. He doesn't do this correctly either, but it is terribly cute. He waves goodbye to himself. Just try it the next time he is around. It will definitely make you smile!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love watching kids learn and use sign language. We did it with two of our three boys and it helps a lot at that pre-verbal age.

sarah said...

So, your baby can:

1. speak
2. rollover
3. fetch
4. shake
5. sit
6. lie down

so can lucy!! :)
but, she also runs away whenever she gets a chance.

Anonymous said...

If sign language is doggish, both my boys were FIDO... of course, they also drank out of the toilet so....