Thursday, February 14, 2008

Do I hate my son??

One of our verses for Bible study today was Proverbs 13:24. It says, "He who withholds the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently."

The video we watched really got me thinking about this and it has been on my mind most of the day. Some really good points were made, one especially being, do I make excuses for my child's sin? For example, if I tell Josiah to do something, and he doesn't do it, do I say that he didn't hear me or that he was too involved in what he was doing and I shouldn't have asked him to come. In essence by saying that, I am taking the blame for his disobedience or allowing him to become self-absorbed and to passively defy my authority. Another example of this is when we are in a store and he is misbehaving, do I excuse his misbehavior by saying he is just tired? I have caught myself doing this one several times. By excusing it rather than dealing with the problem, I am not teaching him self-control. He has to learn to behave under any circumstance, even when he is tired or doesn't feel good.

It just really got me thinking. I am going to try to watch this week and see how I handle my son. I really do love him, and I want to love him the way God wants me to by disciplining him. I am not talking about just spanking or hitting him, but truly teaching him to be a self-controlled young man.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog! It is fun to find people I actually know who have blogs too! Love the pictures, stories, etc. Good combination of funny and thought-provoking. I'll add your blog to my Friends list. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't even think we had Bible Study this week! I was home with the boys anyway... late start for school and all. I need to get the videos and catch up! (um, and find my verse pack!yikes!!) Sounds like a good video.

Anonymous said...

This is something I have to be reminded of daily! Thanks for the reminder. Consistency is sometimes so hard for us mommies. But by God's grace we can do it!!

Thanks,
Melissa Payton